Friday, July 15, 2011

Shneak Peek

Last post, I mentioned a sneak peek I had at concept art for Disney's John Carter, and Erik asks if I can share that. Unfortunately no, the person who showed it to me would get in trouble if I even described what I saw, but it was very cool.

In the meantime, here is some material you've undoubtedly seen already, but I'm posting it up just for the record.

I have great hopes for this movie. So far, it looks like it will be rustic high adventure — truly in the spirit of Edgar Rice Burroughs.











I'm already looking forward to the DVD.

4 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Yeah, I kinda figure you wouldn't be able to show the concept art, but it didn't hurt to ask.

These screenshots will just have to nurse my appetite until the "Art of " book comes out, much less the movie itself.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Erik, I am SO looking forward to the 'Art of' book.

E.G.Palmer said...

Thom, have you seen any of Frank Cho's Barsoomian art? I really like his stuff.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

I've seen Cho's Barsoom work and I like it to a certain point. When it starts to look like Liberty Meadows, it then loses authenticity of vision, in my opinion. Cho's work has a certain slickness, even in the raw medium of pen and ink, and that works for cartooning, but is unsatisfying for illustration, again, in my opinion.

Obviously he's a good draughtsman, and I haven't seen his work for the last couple of years, so maybe I'm just out of touch.